Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Mets Already Project Opening Day Lineup?

It's early December. We haven't even hit Christmas yet. There's still plenty of time between now and the start of Spring Training, which starts with games on March 6th. There's still a good chance that Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson could make another move. As it looks right now though, many believe, myself included, that Sandy wopn't do much of anything the rest of the winter months. Sandy made a splash early, signing Michael Cuddyer to a two-year deal, but since then he’s only added lefty reliever Scott Rice and outfielder John Mayberry, Jr. With that being taken into account, plus the fact that it looks like Wilmer Flores is going to be the starting shortstop instead of Ruben Tejada.

With all that taken into account, Manager Terry Collins feels pretty comfortable that, baring any major injuries, his opening day roster is set in stone. In a story from the New York Post, Collins had given the paper his projected opening day lineup, which was said to look a little something like this:

CF – Juan Lagares
LF – Curtis Granderson
3B – David Wright
1B – Lucas Duda
RF – Michael Cuddyer
2B – Daniel Murphy
C – Travis d’Arnaud
SS – Wilmer Flores
P

When the Paper asked Collins how he felt about his lineup, he responded with the following.

“I really like our team, I am so excited. There were always big missing pieces in the past. Now there’s not. We’re not going to put a number on it, but we’re going to win. I don’t think that there is any question that we should be playing in October next year.”

Now there's a couple of things that I have a slight issue with here. As far as the lineup goes, I wouldn't mind keeping Granderson in right and having Cuddyer play left. But I have a feeling either guy could play well in either the corner outfield spots. Some people have been calling for the Mets to make a move to pick up another shortstop. The way I see it I don't really care who it is as long as it's nor Ruben Tejada. I'm sorry Tejada isn't that fast and doesn't have much range for a position that you need both those skills. The Mets haven't been able to find a guy to settle down at that position since Jose Reyes left town for a bigger contract.

Some people have wanted Troy Tulowitzki to be acquired from the Rockies. I wouldn't mind that myself, but there are two problems with that theory. One is the HUGE contract that Tulowitzki has, a deal that I don't think the Mets are going to be willing to take on. The other reason I say getting Troy would be a bad idea is beacuse he always has health issues. He hasn't been able to stay healthy, which is a big red flag and why the Mets haven't gone after him.

As far as this batting order is concerned I would actually consider making a couple of changes. I would keep Lagares and Granderson at the the top of the order. Granderson put up his good numbers in the Bronx was when he was hitting mostly in the 2 spot in the lineup. I would take Wright out of the 3 hole and put Murphy there. I say this because Murphy has been the Mets most consistent hitter the last few seasons, no disrespect to Wright, who has been the face of the franchise the last few years. The reason I would have Wright hitting either 5 or 6 is because, when you look back to some of Wright's better years with the team, he was hitting down there in the order. Granted at that time he had hitters ahead of him like Mike Piazza, Cliff Floyd, Carlos Beltran and Carlos Delgado, so there was pressure taken off Wright to produce. And he was healthier. Still I would give it a shot hitting Wright lower in the lineup, just to take pressure off him trying to produce.

A lot can still change between now and the start of Spring Training but if this stays put as what the Mets are gonna do, I think they have better options but that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment