Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Should The NHL Return?

We've been on pause in the the NHL for the last sixty days. March 11th was the last time we saw NHL hockey. We haven't heard a peep from anybody at the NHL yet as to whether or not the league will complete the 2019-20 NHL season. But at this point I really have to ask this question. Does it even make sense at this point?

The American Hockey League already cancelled the rest of their season and started putting a plan in place to get their 2020-21 season going on time, which is a very smart move. now why can't the NHL do the same thing already? I'm reading various reports that the league is looking to skip the regular season and jump right into the playoffs, thus possibly pushing back the start of next season. If that's what they wanna do, then so be it. I get it that they want to crown a champion this year, and with all that the league has done.

But at the same time, I'm wondering out loud.....is it really worth the risk? If it was safe to do something to get the playoffs back it should have been done already and not wait till almost June to first start the playoffs. Your pushing back the start of next season till possibly December, which is one theory I've heard, and that too doesn't make a lot of sense. I know people are still worried about a possible second wave of the virus coming during Flu season, so if the league is taking that into account, then this makes total sense you don't want to put anybody health at risk.

And here's something else to think about. Lets say you wanna start up for the playoffs. Say a star like Alex Ovechkin gets hurt during the playoffs and won't be ready to go for the start of next season. Is something like that worth a big risk?

I want hockey back on the ice as badly as any of my fellow fans want. At the same time I want everybody to be safe and smart about how they do this. Once hockey does come back, its going to be played in an empty arena, which is going to be interesting to see. I'm sure the league will be welcomed back when its safe to do so with open arms. I just hope that the league and players association get it right to bring the game back at the right time.

The league hasn't said a word yet on what the actual plan is, which is annoying because I'd like to know what's going on. But at the same time, its smart because I don't want to have my hopes get up, only to be let down again.

1 comment:

  1. I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information.
    NHL 66

    ReplyDelete