Thursday, August 20, 2020

Never Leave The Mic Open

One of the biggest fears for somebody in the broadcasting industry is getting caught with an open mic. What that means is, being caught unaware that there is a live microphone on and working, and whatever you say can and will go out over the air. Broadcasters always are, or should be aware, when their mics are on and transmitting over the airwaves. Well Wednesday night in Cincinnati, Reds broadcaster Thom Brennaman was unaware of such a thing and some truly horrific and horrible comments were made on the air during a live broadcast.

Now it does happen, from time to time, that a TV or Radio broadcast will come back from a break early and the announcers aren't prepared for it and some stuff gets said. It has happened. But what Brennaman said has no place anywhere. Coming back from a break, Brennaman was unaware that the Reds had come out of a break early, was heard, clear as day, saying "One of the f*g capitals of the world," before then resuming his on-air duties. It's unknown what led to that remark and the context behind it. 

Steinlight Media released a statement on Brennaman's behalf. 

"I would like to sincerely apologize for the inappropriate comments I made during last night's telecast. I made a terrible mistake. To the LGBTQ community, and all people I have hurt or offended, from the bottom of my heart, I am truly sorry. I respectfully ask for your grace and forgiveness," the statement said. 

Brennaman opened the fifth inning with an apology spoken directly to the camera before handing off play-by-play duties. "I made a comment earlier tonight that I guess went out over the air that I am deeply ashamed of," he said. "If I have hurt anyone out there, I can't tell you how much I say from the bottom of my heart, I am very, very sorry."

Brennaman has been suspended from play by play duties for the Reds. no timetable on when or even if he will return to his announcing duties. This may also affect his work with the NFL as he has called football games for Fox in the past.

As somebody who's been involved in sports broadcasts in my career, both as an announcer and a producer for radio (I called college hockey and have produced hockey, basketball and football for colleges) I know what its like on both sides of the board. Its very rare that something like this happened and we've seen and heard slip ups before on the air, but nothing ever like this. There needs to be better communication between all parties involved on a broadcast and something like this should have never happened and been allowed over the air. Its disgusting and has no place in society. Good on the Reds organization and Fox Sports Ohio for taking care of this as quickly as they did. I really hope that something like this never, ever happens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment