Monday, August 9, 2021

Thank You Mike Lange

IT'S A HOCKEY NIGHT IN PITTSBURGH!

Those words have opened Pittsburgh Penguins broadcasts for the better part of the last 46 years. Whether it's on TV or the Radio, that's how a Penguins game would get going. it came from the vocal cords of Mike Lange, who's been calling Penguins games since his first broadcast with the team in 1976. Many of the memorable moments in Penguins history have been called by Mike and after 46 years, Mike decided it was time to hang it up.

Mike put out a statement earlier today, which reads as follows.

"There are so many people to thank along the way. From the terrific personnel at the arena all these years, ownership including the smaller investors who took a chance on this franchise, players who make it all possible and the management and all the staff members who are so memorable to me. I am very grateful for the chance to meet and work with you over the years. And to the fans: what a trip we had together. So many contributing to the broadcasts and listening night after night. Always made me 'Smile Like a Butcher's Dog.' God Bless."

Mike had been taking more and more games off the last couple of seasons before finally deciding to retire. After all this time and all the games that Mike has called, he's left fans with many memorable one liners. He's been called he king of the catch phrase and for good reason. Scratch my back with a hacksaw, He beat him like a rented mule, Buy Sam a drink and get his dog one, too, He smoked him like a bad cigar, and, of course, And ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has just left the building!

I myself became a fan of his because of an old VHS tape my parents had bought for me when i was little. It was called Super Dooper Hockey Bloopers. One of the segments on the tape was showing off some of Mike's best liners. Because of that I became a fan of his, and as I got older and knew what I wanted to do with my career, I admired him more and more for his craft and what he did. Whenever the Islanders would play the Penguins I'd be watching the game on TV and streaming the Penguins radio call online to hear Mike call the game. he had a tremendous impact on me as a fan and aspiring broadcaster.

Been a hell of a ride and thanks for everything Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment