Friday, January 7, 2022

Randle Puts Foot In Mouth....Sort Of

It's no big secret that playing in the New York Market is a very tough thing to do. It gets magnified even more when it's playing for the New York Knicks. When your the biggest star on that team, the lights seem to shine a little brighter on you. Just ask Julius Randle, who's had a coming out party, as it were, over the last year and a half. Now Randle has gone and, sort of, stuck his foot in his mouth.

Thumbs-Down gate is back in New York. It started over the summer with Javy Baez giving it to Mets fans. We thought that was something that was one and done. Well it came back Thursday thanks to Julius Randle. After the Knicks big come from behind win against Boston at home, Randle gave a thumbs down gesture to the fans as a way to tell them (nicely) to put a cork in it after booing the team during their latest stretch of play. After this blew up in his face, Randle took to social media on Friday morning to release the following statement. 

“Just want to send a quick message to our fans and be clear - I love NYC and being a part of this team and this franchise. And like most Knicks fans, I am really passionate about us being successful. My family and I love how the fans and New Yorkers have embraced and accepted us and have made us feel great about our decision to commit long-term with the team this past summer. This support means the world to us. I understand that my actions also represent the league, this organization, and the city, and that I should have handled things last night differently and expressed myself with more professionalism and more appropriate language in the heat of the moment. My comment was an example of how sometimes you say things you regret to people you love, even if it came from a place of passion and deep love. Nobody wants to win more than me and I will continue to show loyalty and dedication to my teammates, the entire Knicks organization, and the fans who have shown me and my family so much love. I am going to keep focusing on the future. Thank you. GO KNICKS.”

Hey I get it man, you got passion for winning and passion for playing in this city, which I think is so freaking cool. It's something that we haven't seen on this strong a level from a high scoring Knicks player in some time. Problem is, as we all know, the lights shine just a little bit brighter at MSG then they do at any other arena in the league. And when your the best player on the team that plays there, its going to burn hotter on you. Just have to be more aware of that so you don't do stupid stuff.

The media in the New York market are always going to be tough on you, hell so is the fan base as well. We want winners in the town and we have such a high standard. Athletes do stupid things its going to get blown up and that's what happened here. i give Randle credit for making the statements and trying to smooth things over. Will it work? not totally sure yet. But this to me is a step int he right direction and a good move on his part. Still wasn't very smart of him to do what he did, but at least he's smart enough to be aware of it and try and act professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment