Monday, March 8, 2021

Sports Helps Mental Health

With the way things are in the world today, the discussion of mental health has become more and more important. One of the things that can help with mental health is sports, both playing and watching. Playing sports can help reduce stress, improve mood, keep your mind sharp, among other things. For the point of this post, we put it in the context of watching sports.

Sure, there are times where are sports teams can drive us crazy. It happens all the time with the three teams I root for with the Jets, Mets and Islanders. They drive me up the wall with some of the ways that they've lost games or blown leads or whatever. They have also given me great memories that will live on with me forever. It also more then just that. Its the friendships (and relationships) I've made because of sports and wrestling. I've met some people that have become really close friends because of our shared love of sports. That has turned into other things in common, but sports is what anchored it.

What that has helped create for me, is friendships I'll keep forever and gives me an outlet. What I mean is it has given me people I know I can trust and talk to about anything. It helps me get out some of what's going on in my personal life and allows me to talk to people. And the same thing goes for my friends in where they have come to me to get out their personal problems before it would start driving them up the wall, so to speak.

Sports has done that for me and my friends. It kickstarted a friendship that has helped bloomed into something much bigger. Point is, and I really do hope this helps somebody out there reading this. It is OK to not be OK. Its OK to reach out to somebody to talk to, doesn't matter who it is or what its about. Never fight it alone, there is always an ear more than willing to listen to whatever the troubles may be.

Sports has helped me with that. It's given me plenty of distractions when I was felling down about something. It's always kid of been there to help lift my spirits up, whether its watching it, playing a video game version of it, or going outside and playing it. It also helped because it helped foster friendships I keep to this day and helped me find the people who always have my back and people I can go to when I need to talk.

Just know that you are never alone and there is always help and a better way around whatever problems you may face. Hopefully sports can and has helped you the way it has helped me.

No comments:

Post a Comment